Wednesday 24 December 2014

Discernment for the Future

Over the past few months, I have experienced much internal change... It feels like the end of a very long journey of self discovery and discernment and yet in reality, it is just the beginning of a new way of being.

The past twenty years or so, have shaped me into the adult that I am today and although there are many things that I would like to change in my life, I am at last able to embrace both the positive and negative aspects of my past and see them for what they really are - a valuable learning experience which has broadened my mind and brought me to the very point that I am today. Without such experiences, I very probably would not be typing this entry and indeed I would not be walking the path that I currently tread. I have learned that all experience, whether positive or negative in nature, is a valuable learning tool as it helps us to reflect on past experiences and take action for the future in a positive and meaningful way.

The world that I know, seems to have changed greatly in a relatively short space of time, or at least it feels like that. I am guilty at times of hampering of what once was rather than what is.... Although reflection on the past is useful, it can hinder future progress if we become stuck in an ever perpetuating cycle of  demented reminiscence.

At  Midnight Mass this evening, I couldn't help but think about how much things have changed to the life that I once knew and thankfully my thoughts were positive and constructive.... I was thinking how I could adapt to the change that has taken place and how I could evolve from the person that I am here and now to the person that I would like to become.

I feel blessed at the moment to have some clarity of thought, but also realise that whatever the future holds for me will be an ongoing process of discernment. Whatever the future does actually bring, is really not that important right now.... all that is important, is to keep going forward with an open mind and keeping myself in check to try and halt any hindrance to that process through embracing what life has to offer each and every day :-)

1 comment:

  1. God will show you every step at the right time. The New Covenant in Hebrews chapter 8 says that he himself will teach you (an individual) and write on your heart. I know people who go through disasters and trauma after trauma, and then shrug and blame it on God teaching them. (Lead me not into nightmares.) Long ago, I prayed that God would teach me gently, and with humor. For the most part, that's been my experience.

    ReplyDelete